One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Joan of Arc and Monet - All in One Day

Our last trip with the Accent program was to Normandy to see the city of Rouen, where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, and to visit Giverny, where Monet's house and gardens are.
Our tour guide in Rouen was an older lady who was so excited to have a group of American students who were interested in learning about history. She took us all throughout the town - I thought it was amazing to be in a medieval city that was still pretty much intact. The main cathedral (and the one where Joan of Arc was "sold" to the British) was really old and really big - it was almost impossible to get it all in my camera lens. Inside they had all the original stone statues that used to be on the outside of the church. They were almost eerie to look at, and it reminded me of the ghost people in Lord of the Rings.


The architecture of the city was amazing - the houses were built in the middle ages and so they were very close together. Some of them were even built to hang over the street (a practice that was banned during the black plague because people thought one of the causes could be the dirty water that couldn't evaporate from the street because the houses were so close together). We also got to see la Rue du Gros-Horloge (Big-Clock Street), which has been a very busy downtown area since the middle ages. There was a market at the end of Big-Clock Street where they were selling fresh seafood - it smelled SO good and it took all the personal strength I had not to buy a huge bag full of oysters!

Our last stop on the tour was the square where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. In the middle, there was a plaque that read, "The location where Joan of Arc was burnt on May 30 th 1431". This square, filled with flowers and a statue of her as a memorial, was so inspiring to me that I decided to write one of my final papers about Joan of Arc and the symbolism relating to her life and death.


It was about an hour-long drive to get to Giverny, and I was in awe from the moment we stepped off the bus. On the walk to Monet's house, we got to see all these really cute little country houses. I know I've said this before, but I love the French countryside. It always reminds me of Beauty and the Beast.
Monet's house are gardens were some of the most amazing things I have ever seen. It was so wonderful to be able to see the place where he spent so much of his time and from where he drew so much of his inspiration. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the inside of the house, but it was so cute and so perfect that I had to buy some post cards for myself. Here are some pictures from Giverny:


I feel so lucky to have been able to visit both of these beautiful places, both with so much history. I'm also glad that I have had the chance to explore some of the French countryside!

No comments:

Post a Comment